Saturday, August 12, 2006

St. Antoine Market Lyon - Filling the Larder

Wherin I went crazy on the herbs in anticipation of making my own stash dans le facon de David.
I stepped into a refreshing crisp cool morning today with my basket and camera, full of inspiration and joy that the stilting horrible heat that we escaped from in Lyon when we left is gone. I passed by my neighborhood brocante man, the funny pretty man who supplies me with interesting old dishes and who is always sprouting a different shaped goatee. He turned around and stopped me to give me a kiss on the street, since I was tan and glamourous and all. I waded willy nilly into the market and snapped left and right, not paying much attention to the photos I was taking. There will be time for that later.

The market was a joy to return to, because after exploring the markets in the dry parched south, everything seemed simply bouyant with juicy goodness. I am further convinced that the St. Antoine Market in Lyon is the best in France. My anticipation and joy was further enhanced by the fact that I had the optomistic opportunity to buy - we needed many things including all new cheeses to get the plate started again, and vegetables and fruits all to be chosen at will without a thought to what I might have at home. The berries and late summer produce are simply gorgeous now. I breathed a big sigh of relief to find every herb and green vegetable I desired at my fingertips in full flourishing glory, the dizzying array of berries that have appeared on the scene while we were gone, and the melons and squashes that really complete late summer in my mind.







For Today:
Purple dahlias and Sunflowers, green beans, apricots, peaches, blackberries to remind me of the house on Circle Road, eggs and zuchinni flowers, for which I saw a recipe to stuff them recently, cukes and zukes, a spaghetti squash, some pasta from Torino, fresh farmers cheese, Bleu d'Auvergne, St. Nectaire, St. Marcellin, little apéro cheeses, basil, thyme, sage, chervil, parsley, summer chicory, and one last herb I've forgotten the name of. But it is similar to Sorrel, has little plump leaves, is mainly sold with the roots and only at the market, and is a great lifter for simple salads. The vacation is over but summer will not let go just yet.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger wheresmymind said...

I'd love to use squash blossoms one day in a dish!

10:40 PM, August 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a nice place indeed. I miss those huge markets! Thanks for the balade!

3:03 PM, August 13, 2006  
Blogger L Vanel said...

Thanks guys, for your comments, they mean alot to me.

1:17 PM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger "Diva" said...

Hope you made the Stash!!!
David learsned it with me... what is the French version?
Do the french make their own herbes di provence and dry them?

10:28 AM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

I visited here because you left a comment on my blog and I am so glad I did.

The writing and the photographs are lovely.

I also go to the market with a camera. And I am counting the days until we get back to France, less than a year now. Your blog will make the waiting easier.

3:52 AM, August 21, 2006  
Blogger Pille said...

Oh, Lucy! I've been following your blog for a while, but never really registered that you're based in Lyon (just thought of you as a 'French' blogger).
We're coming to Lyon in August for about a week (there's a wedding to attend in Sauzet on 22 Aug) - me, my man and our little daughter Nora who turned 4 months yesterday. And of course we want to eat a lot of good local food. (Would you perhaps have a chance to meet us for a coffee or even meal?)
Will have to spend more time reading your blog now for various tips about Lyon :)

8:12 AM, May 31, 2009  
Blogger L Vanel said...

By all means, contact me, Pille! I would love to meet you. -lucy

12:19 PM, May 31, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home