Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Do One Thing and Do It Well

These men do blueberries:
Fresh, in syrup, confiture, and in pound cake.


It's the first time I have seen them selling at the market. They stood silently and still behind the table without saying a word, looking at the people passing by directly, as if observing us. It was a big contrast to the hustle and bustle, the calls and sales pitches coming from all of the other vendors. The older man was leaning as he is in the picture, with his arms slightly spread out, as if to simply say: "this is our product". Something made me stop and ask about what they had to offer, since the unmarked bottles and jars looked interesting to me. They seemed like nice people. They answered my questions. The boy collected the money, and marked each sale on a piece of paper before completing the transaction. The cake certainly tasted good. Next week I think I will get some jam and a bottle of syrup.

With coffee on the quai.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Katie Zeller said...

OMG! I love that photo!
They know it's sooo good, words are uneccessary - as are smiles

9:25 PM, August 07, 2007  
Blogger L Vanel said...

Every possibility came to mind, and I came to the conclusion that this operation is real.

10:07 PM, August 07, 2007  
Blogger Ksam said...

Ooh, lucky you! I only find blueberries at our marché once or twice per year! I'd really like to start growing my own once we get around to building a house.

10:34 PM, August 07, 2007  
Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

Saw this yesterday - lovely! - but am back to send congratulations on the Boston Globe piece!

4:09 PM, August 08, 2007  
Blogger L Vanel said...

Thank you Sam and Alanna for stopping by. That Boston Globe piece is something, isn't it?

11:26 PM, August 08, 2007  
Blogger SteamyKitchen said...

with coffee even! I can only imagine how wonderful....

2:54 AM, August 09, 2007  
Blogger Connie said...

they look very proud of their blueberries

1:17 AM, August 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home