Thursday, January 10, 2008

Sandwich Direction

leftover salad, with bread inspired by
Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Cooking.


Simple themes, simple ideas, simple logic, baby steps. Reasonable progress. I have taken a new interest in my books about natural healthy eating. The Tassajara Cooking book, and more concrete and contemporary, a copy of Heidi Swanson's Supernatural Cooking, five ways to incorporate whole & natural ingredients into your cooking. Get this book, you won't be sorry.

Barley flour is one in Heidi's list of non-wheat whole grain flours, and after reading about it I ran into some at the local bio shop. I substituted barley flour (called orge in French) for corn meal in my favorite corn bread recipe as an experiment. The reward was a wonderful aroma throughout the house. The flavor was intoxicating.

It kept well. More pliable and moist than the corn bread, it makes good sandwiches and soaks of lots of good salad juices. It is a step in the right direction. I am all about direction right now.

As for the 2 pounds of butter I purchased on a whim in the Alpes this past weekend, I convinced myself to give it away, can you believe that?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Champsleeve said...

I received Heidi's book for Christmas this year and I've been cooking from it ever since. I couldn't agree more. It is a fantastic book. And, like you, I ran out and got barley flour and have had really good results.

Dana

7:09 PM, January 10, 2008  
Blogger Tace said...

That's one tasty looking sandwich. You can just tell it's full of flavvvoouuurrr! My husband and I try to eat healthy as well. I can not remember the last time we bought white flour, make everything with at least whole wheat. I am going to see if I can find this barley flour, it sounds interesting!

4:47 AM, January 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up loving cornbread, and would never have thought to try a diffferent flour, even though I've given up corn due to gmo's. This looks absolutely delicious as a variation, how creative! Thank you!

7:41 AM, January 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're dredging up great memories of a bacony, Spring-is-here salad I've made time and again, the warm dressing wilting the leaves just enough.

This sublime dish was the favorite of a neighbor, called "Wil-did Leddis Sallid" by her family. She sometimes threw in a chopped boiled egg or two, and the lagniappe was the saved-til-last treat: dipping that big old tablespoon into the bowl, hearing it scrape gently across the crockery, and spooning up some of the luscious, vinegar-y, bacon-y bowl-drippin's onto your cornbread.

A wonderful restaurant here used to make the dressing, bringing it out hot and fragrant in its own little pitcher, for pouring onto your spinach salad, which already had slices of the whitest lengthwise mushrooms, rings of red onion, and a little dish of crumbled bacon for sprinkling. Each addition led the next, with the whole warm dressing/cool salad mixed at the last second and eaten while the flavors and temperatures were still at their best.

I'm thinking a table set out under our new carved-out arbor space, candles flickering in time with the fireflies, and wide soupbowls of this salad set before each guest, a gentle-fried egg atop, with a quick grind of pepper, and some thin cornbread wedges snuggled alongside for sopping up the last delicious juices.

Can you tell I'm longing for the warm to conquer this lawnful of snow?

rachel d

PS---Pink divinity for Valentine's Day.

7:37 PM, February 19, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home