Friday, January 20, 2006

Spice Mix Maison


Like equipment, there are certain seasonings that everyone should have on hand and within easy reach in the kitchen. I keep three old mustard pots filled with the following. Good Herbes de Provence as provided to me periodically by my mother-in-law Brigitte who lives in the midi (that's down south in Provence for those not in the know with the lingo), Rough Sea Salt, and my own Spice Mix Maison. It varies from batch to batch, depending on what I have got in the larder. For example last time I ground up a dry smoked Mexican pepper that Loic brought to me to replace the cayenne. Sometimes I add a pinch of this or a pinch of that. Make up your own mix, but start from here:

3 parts paprika
1.5 part dried garlic
1 part dried onion flakes
1.5 part rough sea salt
1 part black pepper
1 part herbes de provence
1 part oregano
1/2 to 1 part cayenne


If you use tablespoons for the parts, you should get a nice big jar of it that you can keep by the stove. Be careful not to mix up the cayenne and the paprika when you've bought them in bulk. Taste things carefully.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I'm interested, but how would one use this spice mix? What sort of dish would you put it in, and how much?

3:34 PM, January 20, 2006  
Blogger L Vanel said...

Thank you for asking, Lisa. As time goes on you'll see how this mix is used in various recipes. I guess so far the only recipe that uses it is the
tripes recipe
. Don't take this as an omen, my dear, because there are lots of mch more daily recipes that use this recipe, from soup to sabayon. Think of the mix as a brightener of sorts.

11:05 PM, January 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am interested in how much in advance you can make the gougeres - I notice you said to leave in the oven with the door ajar but do they collapse? Thanks.
Barbara

3:15 PM, May 16, 2006  
Blogger L Vanel said...

I have made them in advance and heated them just before serving. What would make them sink is if you use too much egg in the ratio. Hope that helps.

4:29 PM, May 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home