Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Gathering


The rain came down in torrents last night and well into this morning. I tumbled out of bed with some ideas, and some energy to burn off before settling down. I have hours of quiet work to do today, and I want to put up some Chutney this week, the perfect autumn double task for working and cooking at the same time.

A marbled foie gras terrine served with fig chutney, pain d’épice toast with a foie gras and green apple chutney topping, a Meaux mustard liégeois with red tuna tartare, oysters and tomato chutney, lobster with mango chutney, veal sweetbreads with coarse ground black pepper served with a morel chutney, beet ravoili with rhubarbe and dried fruit and nut chutney, these images have hovered on the horizon in the past months.

A quick trip to the market at dawn to see what this rainy Tuesday morning has to offer, cornered by Madame Arthaud with the epic story of how it took 20 years to get the handles changed on the front door. "One learns to exercise patience," she mutters in the midst of her journey. I am back home, still early. The fixings will be gathered, bit by bit, to make a few jars of a nice little autumn chutney that we will be able to enjoy through the winter.

I have plums, onions and shallots (tons), green apples, tomatoes, dates (something new), and ginger. Tomorrow I will gather a bit more and soon I'll be peeling and chopping. I still haven't settled on a recipe yet. Just gathering.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

Mmmm, it sounds like you have some excellent possibilities. Keep us posted as you experiment.

11:53 PM, September 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had a meal at Au Bon Temps last month and discovered in a previous life it was Chez Tante Paulette. They did Paulette's famous Poulet d'Ail and it was incredible. With the whole braised garlic there were some fried cubes of potatoes.
Magret with lentils, lovely bread, a glass of Rose and a few tossed greens, made it my most memorable food experience in Lyon. Thanks Lucy.
Dillon

1:07 AM, September 19, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

A market at dawn, quiet work on an autumn day, gathering ingredients...this sounds like heaven.

6:15 PM, September 21, 2007  
Blogger winedeb said...

Hi Lucy, I come to visit you through Wendy at a "Wee Bit of Cooking" blog. You have a beautiful site and you are very inspiring to me with your photography. I was lucky years ago to visit your lovely country and fell in love with it. I did make it to Lyon one time, but briefly. I have friends in Saumur but do not get to visit often enough. Looking forward to more visits to your site, lovely work!

10:10 PM, September 21, 2007  
Blogger Christine said...

So far what you've gathered sounds divine. I look forward to seeing other ingredients you add and what you will make with it all.

3:28 AM, September 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home