Friday, November 02, 2007

Croustade


We describe a Gascon Croustade or a Pastis as a southwestern pastry dessert made with many layers of crispy thin rolled strudel or phyllo like dough. It is traditionally made with apple in Kate's neck of the woods but also can be made with prunes or quince. The flavor of the local Armagnac mingles with a heady sugary flavor. I wonder if there is a local source of the pastry or if the boulanger patissiers roll their own pastry in-house. Kate placed one, in any case, on a plate and warmed it up by the fire the evening that we arrived for Cassoulet Camp this weekend. It certainly made a pretty picture.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tace said...

Oh, that looks cozy and tasty all at the same time!

9:48 PM, November 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your writing is amazing. You make me wish I was in France... until I realize I already am! I think I need to head down south again... I'm starting to miss it up here in cold Paris.

12:55 PM, November 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home