Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Flair Pens, Napkins and French Takeout



Something shifted last week.
Maybe it was some planet coming out from behind a cosmic cloud, maybe just a burst of energy. I got sucked into a series of creative visual projects. This happens from time to time. I call it the Flair on napkin effect. My father was a graphic designer. He kept his pocket full of flair pens. He had a special thing for drawing things on napkins, and he used to do a lot of sketching. These napkins were scattered about our house growing up and I used to love examining them. I wish I had saved some of my father's napkins. Sigh.

Now imagine that you wake up one day and suddenly you want to try to tackle a picky detailed project, one that you normally wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Sometimes you just happen to have that pocket full of Flair pens. Sometimes life is a nice big cocktail napkin, just waiting for a drawing. I know myself well enough to know that this doesn't happen very often and to seize it immediately. Fortunately I was in a position to do it over this past week. I cleared the decks for some down time, I put down my schedule, my lists and tasks, and took the phone off the hook. I took some time when I didn't write or research or talk much, time when I just thought about color and form and numbers. I can't say I accomplished anything of great importance. But at least I learned some things, and we ate some good takeout.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Betty Carlson said...

It's been a long time since I heard the term "Flair pens." I wonder if it's a brand. I remember when they were a great new thing...sigh...

8:39 PM, February 13, 2008  
Blogger Tracey said...

I missed reading your posts, but you blog looks awesome! I love the hints of color!

9:26 PM, February 13, 2008  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I love the new look, Lucy!
Looking forward to talking to you and catching up with you after I get home this weekend.
I've been in the States for too long!

5:05 AM, February 14, 2008  
Blogger Keith in Cadillac said...

Lucy, your comments are very interesting and your photos are simply beautiful.
Thank you for providing my great enjoyment.
Keith

4:38 PM, February 14, 2008  
Blogger L Vanel said...

Thanks very much for your comments! I'm glad you like the way it looks!

4:54 PM, February 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home