Wednesday, September 03, 2008

The Alsace Wine Route


Each bee has its own flower.

Touring along Alsace's wine route was lots of fun. The route was well marked and wound through little picturesque villages with vineyards around every turn, where you could stop, taste, and buy. (they have spittoons for the drivers!) By the time we got home, the car was full of cases of wine, and we now have more Riesling, Pinot Gris and Gewürztraminer in the cave than we'll ever be able to drink. I guess we'll have to have a party! The route was well marked, and the little towns, one after the other, were very pretty. Thanks to Pudlo, comfortable affordable inns along the way were easy to locate, and we made special stops for charcuterie, stopped for the famous fresh troute, tarte flambée, matelote, even a carp fish fry. Know that if you ever drive a Renault Clio while touring in France, that the car is designed with the gourmand in mind. The A/C is sent in a circuit around the glove compartment, turning it into a little refrigerator, keeping the meats and cheeses we picked up along the way nice and cool.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky you! We could only carry very few bottles in our suitcases as we rented a car and were flying back. No cheese either, but it went all in our stomachs

12:22 PM, September 03, 2008  
Blogger Laura in Paris said...

I did the Route de Vins d'Alsace a few years ago and had the same happy experience - even without a glass of Gewurstraminer!

10:31 AM, September 04, 2008  
Blogger L Vanel said...

Laura, wasn't it fun? They have had this route quite polished for tourism for a long time now.

12:03 PM, September 04, 2008  
Blogger Paola Westbeek said...

I love visiting wine routes! I've done Alsace. Burgundy and the Cotes du Rhone- fabulous! Especially the degustation along the way!

paola

2:51 PM, September 04, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I must confess. Envious.

5:16 AM, September 05, 2008  
Blogger Eileen said...

I never seem to get to France with my husband. I go for fun and he goes for business. This trip through wine country might be a way to get us there together. Sounds enchanting.

3:05 PM, September 05, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I visit your site almost daily, enjoying your commentary and photographs. Your photos taken along the Alsace wine route were particularly enjoyable. Of special interest is the building to the right of the open vineyard shot. Is that a winery? Do you know its name? The lone black lamp-post in the foreground is such a lovely addition to the graceful photo.
A fan in northern California, USA

5:58 PM, September 05, 2008  
Blogger L Vanel said...

Thanks for the great comments! Gail, the structure in the background of that photo is the fortified church of the village of Hunawihr, typical to the region, dating from the 14th century. The village itself is basically all vinyard, featuring 5 or 6 different winemakers. You pass through it in the blink of an eye.

7:06 PM, September 05, 2008  
Blogger Nicole said...

Oh how I would like to live your life for a few days! It all sounds so lovely. I need a few cases of wine around here!

4:16 AM, September 07, 2008  
Blogger tangog1rl said...

Bonjour!
I love your site! It so stylish and yummy at the same time. I moved to France last September from the U.S. for 2 years and I am living in Chambery, somewhat right down the road...I was scrolling through some of your archives and I was wondering if you had any suggestions for where I could go in France on weekend foodie-mini breaks...especially wine related ones.. I only have a year left, what it indispensable? Can I also complicate matters by saying that I am vegetarian? But I eat eggs and milk? Besides tartiflette is there something else I can trust:)?

10:09 PM, September 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home