Tuesday, June 08, 2010

French Market Menu Ideas for Blueberries



Different berries come out at different parts of the season. One precocious delightful berry I had the pleasure of tasting the other day is this what my neighbor is calling the "Siberian Blueberry" which from my research seems like a European cousin of the honeyberry. She gave me a big sack of them. Judging from taste, I imagine that if they were to appear on a producer's stand in Lyon they'd go for a pretty price. Her family grows and sells vegetables at a local market in her home town. I asked her if they ever put out baskets of these berries. "No, because they're mine" she responded.

Two small bushes were given to her 20 years ago by a man who appreciated her interest while she was on a horticultural themed school field trip to Poland. She explains that she put them in the garden of her childhood home, a ski station in the Haute Savoie, and they came to grow quite tall and produce amazingly huge crops of very small, intensely flavored berries that grow in clumps - ready to pick in late spring. Not your average blueberry.

While we wait for the higher altitude blueberry fields to ripen, I am happy for this exotic gift. She said that she has more than she knows what to do with. She normally freezes them, but thought I might appreciate a sack full. Do I! I went through my country notes for some examples of what the restauranteurs do with regular and wild blueberries across the country and provide you this list, while I decide what to do with these.

To begin:

A marbled foie gras terrine seasoned with blueberry infused Marc.
pan seared foie gras served simply with blueberries.
minced duck magret with Mont Lozère blueberries
a duck foie gras terrine with bonbons de myrtilles.

As part of a main dish:

Lamb chops served with a blueberry infused reduction sauce
duck breast with honey and blueberries
farm raised pigeon with a pink peppercorn and blueberry sauce
magret de canard with «blueberry blood»
filet de boeuf à la myrtille sauvage
veal loin with a blueberry seasoned jus

Or as part of a dessert:

The classic blueberry tart
blueberry crème brûlée
blueberries with licorice flavors in an entremet with a dollop of fresh young farmer's cheese sorbet
chocolate cake with a soft center of wild blueberry preserves
blueberry crumble
blueberries tucked into an almond sablé crust and crème patissière, served warm with vanilla ice cream
clafoutis aux myrtilles
matafan aux myrtilles
a fried blueberry flavored boule de crème brûlée refreshed with frozen yogurt
simple house made blueberry ice cream
wild blueberries served covered in a flurry of crushed meringue
fromage blanc with blueberries
thin crêpes with a wild blueberry sauce
a blueberry tartelette with its pistachio crème légère
thin waffles served with a lime seasoned blueberry confiture
vanilla seasoned fresh farmer's cheese mousse drizzled with a warm blueberry compote, topped with a thin sablé
a Bugundy sparkling wine sabayon with wild blueberries
thick soft pistachio and blueberry swirled cookies
white peach panna cotta drizzled with blueberry sauce
a Genepi seasoned blackberry and blueberry gratin
charlotte aux myrtilles
a blueberry tartelette served with white farmer's cheese ice cream.

In hopes that this list inspires you to expand your blueberry repertoire.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Stash said...

I'm not normally a fruit person (as evidenced by the number of recipes that use non-tomato fruit on my blog) -- however the veal loin with blueberry jus caught my eye.

A hint please?

Strawberries will soon phase out here in NYC (perhaps a 2nd harvest later in the summer), however blueberries and raspberries are now coming in.

I think sweet polenta with blueberry compote will make its appearance soon.

12:56 AM, June 09, 2010  
Blogger Amy said...

jam!! you can enjoy the berries' flavor all year :)

2:29 AM, June 09, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never seen this type of blueberry, I vote for jam (for excess berries) as well. I would make blueberry frozen yogurt.

4:01 PM, June 09, 2010  
Blogger L Vanel said...

Good timing! Frozen yogurt seems like a great idea, swirled with jam. Hmmm.

5:44 PM, June 09, 2010  
Anonymous Dillon said...

Hi Lucy Just sampled my "chinotto confit". It trully is the most beautifully fragrant and luscious preserve I've ever had. I'll use the leftover syrup as you would your flower syrups. Delicious.
Thankyou
And what a smell it gave the house each time that syrup was brought to the boil.

2:08 AM, June 12, 2010  
Blogger L Vanel said...

I am so happy it turned out to well, Dillon! That's very good news.

1:29 PM, June 12, 2010  
Blogger Denise | Chez Danisse said...

I am inspired.

4:48 AM, June 16, 2010  
Blogger jenniferashley said...

i am inspired too. and i will be in france in just a few weeks and can't wait!!! your posts make me even more excited to get there and just taste and walk and taste some more. if you feel like following along with my adventures in food and (soon enough) travel, please check my blog out. http://renaissancekitchen.blogspot.com

5:49 PM, June 18, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bought some of these from a market in Krakow a few days ago. I would have just thought they were regular blueberries, (and probably not bought them) but I had read this post about them a few days prior. They were indeed very special and we devoured a whole big box of them sitting on a park bench. Lovely writing and photos, as always!
-Amy

5:00 PM, June 21, 2010  
Anonymous june2 said...

They sound like an incredible gift. Perhaps consider sharing them with a rare fruit seed preservation bank - I think there are some in Italy linked with the slow food org there. I know California and Australia have them specifically for fruit. Fruit biodiversity is a big deal now that mono-cropping has become dominant. Yours sound like a treasure!

10:33 PM, June 25, 2010  
Blogger Pille said...

I reckon these are 'blue honeysuckle' (Lonicera caerulea). We planted a bush in our garden, but it didn't fruit yet this year. Next year, hopefully!

7:34 AM, June 28, 2010  
Blogger Sanand said...

Not a berry person but I definitely enjoyed your interesting post. I am following your blog from now.

6:51 AM, August 27, 2010  
Blogger Unknown said...

"Vanilla seasoned fresh farmers cheese mousse drizzled with blueberry compote" , and could it either be served in a meringue shell or with that "flurry of meringue " you mentioned earlier, either made with a bit of sea salt, or with a tang of lemon flavour? Crunchy, creamy, sweet & salty or sour, while wonderfully wild with berry spectacularness (sorry spell check, I'm insisting that that is a word! ).

11:38 AM, June 08, 2015  

Post a Comment

<< Home