Saturday, February 23, 2008

Majorité des Femmes: Pignol


The rabbit saddle salad at Pignol Bellecour

Brigitte came up from the Var
to see us and spend a moment with Anne, who has hit a milestone birthday. I had an appointment at the reading room, so I could only meet them for lunch. I suggested Pignol, because they are very Lyonnais, with plats prepared in a light style like we like them but also that touch of requisite gourmandise. While we enjoyed our meal, we talked about those places that are usually only open for lunch and are host to a majorité des femmes (mostly women)... You know, the places just right for a tête à tête. The ones that are sometimes unmarked from the street and accessed through back rooms or tiny staircases behind pastry shops. The ones that take on a comforting ambient din like cooing doves as we settle in for lunch and discussion. Men are almost always accompanied by a woman in these places. I don't think I've ever seen one on his own in this category of restaurant. Sorry to be sexist but that's just how it is. Anne had the poule au pot with cream sauce, Brigitte the simply seared veal liver served with a nice side of root velouté, and I had the rabbit saddle salad with ricotta. We were forced to choose the larger pastries for dessert (the boy was vague and didn't want to go down to see what they had in the way of mignardises and petit fours). Still thinking of Sevilles, I ordered the tarte à l'orange, which came with a pretty slice of kumquat and a single red currant on top.


Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Betty Carlson said...

There are a few restaurants in Rodez where at some lunchtimes, there have been nothing but women! I guess some places just appeal more to the feminine palate...

3:34 PM, February 24, 2008  
Blogger L Vanel said...

Betty, I think this kind of place exists everywhere.

10:30 PM, February 24, 2008  
Blogger Tace said...

The orange tart looks so tempting...I've been having orange marmalade on evvvverything lately so I don't feel too awful jealous, haha. The Kumquat though....I can't wait for kumquats to be in season around here. We know some people with a kumquat tree and they have been so generous with us, sharing kumquats the last couple years. They'll have them at the store as well, we eat them like candy, yummmmers!

3:12 AM, February 25, 2008  
Blogger Betty Carlson said...

Oh, I'm sure you're right! I remember some restaurants like that when I lived in Tours too.It just feels kind of funny to be in a restaurant and realize there is not a single man there. I also think, at least in France, women go out to lunch more for socializing purposes. Men don't seem to "do" lunch as much -- unless it's for business.

7:22 AM, February 25, 2008  
Blogger L Vanel said...

I recall a lunch I had with a male friend that I only see every once in a while. I suggested the place, thinking it would be the perfect place to catch up, quiet, calm, a place that also had good lunch specials. And while we were being seated he looked around and said, Lucy, you do realize that I am the only man here. I hadn't realized it but it was true. That is what actually got me thinking about these places.

8:49 AM, February 25, 2008  
Blogger Mahek said...

I just love your blog its so inspiring, being from India i have not heard of the dishes or the ingredients but,that no makes difference when i read your blog , i love the photos and the way you write so keep it up and keep writing...

4:10 PM, March 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home