Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Terrines of Summer



In my mind, summer has to be the best time ever for terrines.
I first got into terrine making because I realized that they are perfect for parties. You prepare them well in advance, then when the time comes, a really impressive, delicious and simple first course is taken care of already. All you have to do is slice and present it. I have put a lot of thought over the years into how to get not only the most flavorful but the prettiest terrines I could, and often found myself planning terrines even when I didn't have any parties to get ready for. I realized that during the hot days of summer, a nice slice of an informal picnic kind of terrine makes a neat sandwich, or served over salad it just hits the spot. So shall we venture into some of my favorite recipes for terrines? There are so many kinds and so many to choose from. I am trying to think where to begin.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely. I love terrines and pates and loafs, et al. Have never made a decent one, though. Tell us how!

SPN

4:44 PM, July 24, 2008  
Blogger Michael Greenberg said...

Terrines are perfect for the summer -- wait for a cool, rainy day when running the oven won't make you die of heat exhaustion, then grind up whatever's around and throw it into a bain marie for an hour or two.

Where to start: how about that beautiful looking terrine right there? Chicken? Carrots and pistachios...or are those peas?

4:58 PM, July 24, 2008  
Blogger Tace said...

I have only seen terrines in cookbooks. Yours looks very pretty, great colors.

5:05 PM, July 24, 2008  
Blogger glamah16 said...

I do love terrines. I have a whole book on them but have only attempted 2 in my life.The make such a nice presentation.

12:06 AM, July 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto Lucy.
My fav at the moment is whole trimmed chicken livers marinated in brandy and freshly ground peppercorns. Encasing them in a generous amount of herby, winey, fatty pork and veal mince. Cooked in a bain marie for 2 hours. Chilled.
The livers are the stars here. Velvety and delicious.

I've been known to have a thin slice of the terrine on toast with a fried egg on top, for breakie!
Doolz

1:12 AM, July 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've made a few in my time but I don't think any have been as strikingly beautiful (and I'm sure delicious) as those you have shown us.

I'm ready to learn, please lead us through. :) The one in the currect photo looks mouthwatering!

11:55 PM, July 26, 2008  
Blogger Christine said...

Yes! Terrine recipes please. I'm having a wonderful time catching up, reading your posts.

2:12 AM, July 27, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, a terrine recipe would be great. The one in the photo looks lovely and perfect for right now.

1:07 PM, July 28, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am excited to try!! Will wait patiently.....

Anon

3:23 AM, July 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home