Monday, March 31, 2008

The Suitcase Full of Thread





Nothing revives the imagination more than a visit to the Puces du Canal, the flea market just outside Lyon.
These vendors here specialize their vision, hone their eye. They each seek a certain class of object. Each person has a different method of amassing their collections, buyers and sellers alike. The time of year, the time of month, the weather, the season, the wind, the way we all see, dictates how things move.

You never know when a person might need a suitcase full of thread, right? What elusive creature do these large red spools symbolize, who might be drawn to them? Emancipation or capture? Might someone find comfort or satisfaction in taking possession of them, closing up this case and carrying them away?



Fishes and birds. So many species of fish. How many ways can you cast a fish in chocolate? Sometimes it seems that the possibilities are endless. A muse can appear at every turn.



Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Chou said...

What a beautiful pictorial journey through the market! Thank you for bringing me along. :)

6:07 PM, March 31, 2008  
Blogger Gina Louise said...

Those letters, please tell me you bought some! Why have I never heard of this place? You probably need a car to get there, don't you...

8:21 PM, March 31, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy,
I have been reading your blog for a while now, and I really love the photos. I live in Lyon and have been really curious- do you have to ask to take them at the marche and such? Or at the flea market- did you ask the vendor? I am always really leary to bring my camera because I don't want someone to yell at me for taking pictures! I especially love confiserie windows- those big "cakes" made out of 1000s of marshmallows- you just don't see that kind of stuff in the states!

I love those printer letters too (as Gina said)- how much do they sell those for? And is this the sort of place you bargain? We pass by it every Sunday on our way to church, and I always wish we could stop. I love flea markets.

Thanks for capturing Lyon on film!

9:59 PM, March 31, 2008  
Blogger L Vanel said...

Dear Gina and Cheryl both,

Contact me and we will go together. It is best Sunday morning. Yes, of course you ask. You go and look and talk and then you ask. This week the ones I asked were very kind. Knowing I didn't have any money. They said of course a photo was free. The letters. Yes. I bought letters with the small change I had on hand. How could you tell I could not resist. His initial offer was something like €3 per letter. But I picked up my favorites in a bunch and shoved them in his direction and offered what I had. He accepted.

10:41 PM, March 31, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooooo! Lovely. Major flea market jewels!

6:45 AM, April 01, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

We just started working with chocolate at school, and I really wish we had such unique molds here.

6:48 AM, April 05, 2008  
Blogger Jann said...

What gems you found-I miss going to the flea markets in Paris......must do some in Lyon one time .What a wonderful place you live in!! This was a great post, thank you!

3:35 AM, April 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home