Scallops and Endives
Briny fresh scallops paired with with the cool closed buds of winter's light-sheltered bitter greens. Now that we are in the height of the season for both endives and scallops, why not consider a tarte?
Scallop and Endive Tarte
1 recipe of your favorite pâte brisée
2 tablespoons duck fat
1 cup cleaned and shredded mild mushrooms like oyster mushrooms or white button mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup shredded leftover cooked chicken meat (poulet au vinaigre today, 2 drumsticks worth)
1/2 a bunch of chives, minced
the leaves from 1/2 a bunch of chervil, minced
8 scallops, shelled
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
1 Tablespoon butter
1/4 cup chicken broth
salt and pepper
- Prepare the pastry and set it to chill.
- Slice the onion thin.
- Melt the duck fat in a saute pan, and add the onions and garlic, let them sizzle for 10 minutes over medium heat, tossing frequently, making sure that if they begin to turn brown, you lower the heat, avoiding them turning brown as much as possible.
- Add the shredded mushrooms and chicken, turn up the heat and toss and cook until the mushrooms release their liquid and things begin to take on a crispy browned edge.
- Toss the herbs in, and toss over the heat for another 3 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup white wine and cook until the mixture is soft and glistening, the liquid reduced. Season with salt, pepper, and ground fennel.
- Wash the outside of the endives. Cut off the base end, and then slice them into wedges approximately the thickness of your scallops. Tip: Vary the thickness of the endives slightly to allow their differences in height to add to the visual impact of the tarte.
- Roll out the pastry, and lay it into to a baking dish.
- Spread the onion/mushroom/chicken mixture around the base of the pie shell.
- Arrange the sliced endives and scallops over the onion mixture, thinking about slices, to make sure each of 8 slices will give your guests at least one scallop.
- Sprinkle sugar over the scallops and endives.
- Slice the butter thin and scatter it over, making sure to get some butter on the scallops (see photo).
- Bake in a hot oven (400F/200C) for 25 minutes, allowing the endives and scallops to begin to brown.
- Remove the tarte from the oven, and lower the heat to 350F/180C. Drizzle the chicken stock over the tarte, cover tightly with foil, and return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
Labels: winter 10-11