Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Mushrooms and Oregano



The oregano is out, the thyme is in bloom, and the summer savory is waving in the wind. I always buy up big bunches of the oregano to hang in the kitchen to dry. Some herbs, in my opinion, are better dried than fresh. Sage is like that too, for me. Summer is close at hand. These last precious days of spring also brought us a nice batch of assorted mushrooms.

The other day at the market the walnut lady said she was thinking of me. She is such a nice sweet woman. I'll be taking her a bottle of last year's vin de noix that we made with chocolate. This coming weekend is walnut weekend, St. Jean, the coming of the equinox, and thankfully Mercury will be coming out of retrograde. Can you say big sigh of relief?

Here is a typical Mercury in retrograde event. I bought a LARGE CAST IRON BELL from a seller in Germany. I was looking for wood burning stoves, trying to see what was out there, you know. I logged on and saw this bell, and there were two minutes left on the sale, and the highest bid was something like a buck fifty. What luck! The bell was so pretty. In the picture, it looked small and cute. I upped the bid by a few centimes, and it was mine! Then I realized maybe there was a reason why people weren't bidding on this item? Leave it to common sense to kick in after the button is pressed. The postage on this thing was mind blowing. Reading the fine print in German and I discover that this seller only accepts direct bank wire transfers. Trying to talk my way out of admitting I'd really flubbed up that time, I thought, oh, we'll do it on line. But no. I spent a morning at the bank, explaining that yes, I did want to make a wire transfer for €17.09. They kept saying, "Oh no you don't." And I kept saying "Oh yes I do." But in all I will take it as a lesson learned.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 'fine print' strikes again... I hope you were able to sort out the bank & shipping! Are they sending the bell by BOAT ;)
I did a cooking course with Chef Krebs last year, who informed us that certain mushrooms are also best dried ie bolets!
Erika

12:13 PM, June 17, 2008  
Blogger L Vanel said...

What a nice thing to know. I like them fresh, as well. But we have also received large amounts of dried ones from friends, and they are lovely, I like to include the dried ones when I make a sauce for meat.

12:46 PM, June 17, 2008  
Blogger Webby said...

I love your blog! and I'm glad I found it!

4:28 PM, June 17, 2008  
Blogger christine said...

Haha, that's a good mercury story. I have a lot of them.

6:07 PM, June 17, 2008  
Blogger Jennifer said...

We got a couple of good mushrooms from our friend's land this spring. It was nice as there weren't any in the fall!
I'll be looking forward to photos of the bell...when you finally get it!
:)

1:06 PM, June 18, 2008  
Blogger jasmine said...

I probably would have done the same in your position :)

Really like the mushroomy shot--and the abundance of the fungi. Here, white button is plentiful, and everything else that's interesting is either expensive or limited or both...

j

1:03 AM, June 19, 2008  
Blogger glamah16 said...

Im sure the bell will be so worth it.

4:43 AM, June 19, 2008  
Blogger Maria Verivaki said...

i find it intersting that there are fotos on the boxes with the mushrooms - what are they there for? in our markets we never have fotos, abd in any case, we dont have a wide range of varieties of mushrooms

5:24 AM, June 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
What a beautiful blog! I have been pouring over it for a while now. I know exactly what you mean about some herbs being better when dried. Greek oregano for example changes so much in character when dried, that I am not sure I like the fresh version. Perhaps I am not used to it too. I like my thyme fresh though. BTW I will be travelling to Alscae this summer. Do you think it is worth buying the Pudlo guide just for that region?

10:28 AM, June 25, 2008  
Blogger L Vanel said...

Alsace has so many wonderful specialties. Even when I am not traveling, I also enjoy looking through the Pudlo guide for recipe ideas, so whether you get the guide just for the trip or to savor it later is up to you.

11:19 AM, June 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just ordered it thanks!

11:24 AM, June 25, 2008  
Blogger Tace said...

The mushrooms are beautiful! We got our walnuts last week and started a couple containers of nocino. Yum yum!

10:52 AM, June 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home