Saturday, April 09, 2011

Giving it Up



Many good years in this apartment. We hadn't planned on selling just yet, but when we met that sunny afternoon in the notary's office on the Quai Saint Antoine and each signed our names on every page of a big stack of documents, it was like a hammer slid into the cog of the inner workings of a big ancient clock. The papers were signed and everything got set in motion, to open the next doorway along the passageway to ownership. We must come forth with the full amount for the new site, design work and renovations, and in order for us to get the loan, our lovely apartment must at least be on the market. I am scrambling to get all of my creative clutter under control, mainly planning to sort and pack it up, living in more of a blank slate while we show our home. While I take these little objects and place them into boxes, I am reminded of my stubborn belief in charms. The baby delights in the big open spaces, placing himself in various staging areas to dance and play. I didn't know it was possible to harbor such opposing emotions. We tried to find a way to keep this apartment, guarding it for retirement, maybe renting it out, while at the same time moving into a place that better suits our needs. But sometimes you just have to make that decision to move forward, when the dream comes forth with enough momentum and you remind yourself that you needn't let go of the memories.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger cocopuff1212 said...

Your apartment must be glad to have had you as its owner. You'll make new memories in the new place.

3:47 PM, April 09, 2011  
Blogger RachelD said...

I'd only imagined the charm of your home, and my poor conjurings, though quite elegant, were no match for the exquisite light you've created there.

Stripped to the echoes, it will still be graceful and beautiful with your memories, and even so young, your little one will remember this place with happiness.

4:00 PM, April 09, 2011  
Blogger L Vanel said...

Thanks, friends.

4:43 PM, April 09, 2011  
Anonymous Dillon said...

I've only seen your place through you window to the square (usually with something delicious in the foreground).
We went through the same predicament of selling our home where our 2 kids were born,and all the stored memories.
It took us 12 months to decide to sell up.
Still saddens me when I see the old place. I'm so glad we have our photos.
Goodluck with it all Lucy.
Dillon

4:57 AM, April 10, 2011  
Blogger L Vanel said...

It is bittersweet. I was looking at the photos of our place when we first moved in and I remember now, even 8 years later the joy that went into buffing out the beauty. We will certainly miss this place.

10:45 AM, April 10, 2011  
Anonymous Claire said...

I've been reading your blog for a while now, and wanted to say good luck with the move. I've also moved homes, countries and continents and each time there's a sadness and happiness that's hard to explain. I can't wait to read all about the next installments of your great life adventure! Also, the asparagus looks like a dream - I'm heading into autumn and slow cooking so it's good to remember all things change and turn with the seasons and all are good.

12:42 PM, April 10, 2011  
Blogger Pat said...

Wishing you all the best in your new home...this is my first time to comment I love your blog site, we(myself and my husband) will be staying a week in Vieux
Lyon in early May and we will try and find your place ...again best wishes to you and your family

3:05 PM, April 10, 2011  
Blogger L Vanel said...

Very nice sentiments, Claire, thanks.

Have fun in Lyon, Pat! You'll love it and wish you booked more time here.

3:30 PM, April 10, 2011  
Anonymous Brenda said...

You're last line was amazing! "But sometimes you just have to make a decision to move forward, when the dream comes forth with enough momentum and you remind yourself that you needn't let go of the memories." Just beautiful. My husband and I just moved and we're going through similar emotions. Best of luck.

12:46 AM, April 11, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

La vie est un long fleuve tranquille......

3:59 PM, April 13, 2011  
Blogger L Vanel said...

Merrily merrily merrily merrily...
Life is but a dream.

4:23 PM, April 13, 2011  
Anonymous Katie said...

Moving is hard - but the future is so exciting! Having moved - and into a house that needs way more work than anticipated....
It will be different but it will be wonderful, too.
I'll enjoy watching someone else's work for a change ;-))
And I've always wanted to live in a city - never have...

9:09 PM, April 15, 2011  
Blogger L Vanel said...

We accepted an offer yesterday, one that will allow us to stay in the apartment until the renovations are at least mostly done. Very happy.

12:40 PM, April 21, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home