Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Time for Jam

Loic likes his toast with jam. What I do is take my leftover butter scraps (I buy all kinds of butter and have been known to have stumps of 6 different kinds cluttering up the fridge at a time) and the leftover herb bouquets, and give them a blitz in the moulinex. I then incorporate some sea salt, press the herbed butter into an old cheese pot, and enjoy my alloted amount in increments spread on my toast for breakfasts. Loic, however will have none of that, since he had a childhood butter trauma. He loves to slather his breakfast toast with jam and lots of jam. Now that the fruits are coming out I am taking the opportunity to make one jar batches of fresh home made jam for him, fruit by fruit.

Oh, it takes about 20 minutes. It doesn't take close surveying until the last couple of minutes when you have to watch a little and stir to make sure it doesn't burn, so you can put it on, get it going, and then do other things until it's done. Last week I made rhubarb jam by combining 3 finely chopped stems of fresh red rhubarb, 1/3 cup granulated cane sugar, a peeled, cored, and chopped apple, and 3 tablespoons of water until they reached 220F (my candy thermometer is in farenheit, since home candy making is a really American thing). And gave it a quick saucer test. I then poured it into a clean jar and let it cool. No need to sterilize or heat seal this jar of jam because Loic eats it very quickly. Tomorrow morning I will make a batch of strawberry jam, since the rhubarb is almost gone. These strawberries got me thinking of that.

the rhubarb jam is almost gone.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home