Sunday, June 21, 2009

Postcard: Our Field of Flowers



We planted this packet of seeds and this is the first wave of blossoms. It took awhile,
I'd say between spreading the seeds and the first blooming, 2 months. They should really get colorful at the end of July, early August. I also put a bunch of bulbs out but not sure which plants they are, everything is growing in one big tangle. I have completely forgotten even what the bulb flowers are supposed to look like. I do remember I thought they were pretty, and that they grow tall. During the planting, I had this packet of seeds for edible sprouts from the health food store, which contained all kinds of funky grasses, and sunflower seeds, removed from their hard shells. We have a few sunflowers towering up thanks to that mix. They say on the website for the field of flowers that you should cut as many as you can if you want to see them bloom longer. I dutifully took to the garden with my basket and a pair of scissors. It was the first time I have ever done something like that, although for some reason I felt like I'd done it forever. There's nothing like it, clipping the flowers you've grown from seeds yourself. I can tell you that the hardest part was pulling out all those nettles before planting the seeds. I am happy with the result so far.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Tracey said...

Beautiful!

12:50 PM, July 02, 2009  
Anonymous Jen said...

These flowers are brilliant. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos. We're amid weeks and weeks of rain, and this post brightened my morning.

4:20 PM, July 02, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

simply stunning!

cheers,

*heather*

4:41 PM, July 02, 2009  
Blogger froy said...

How beautiful. My corn flowers and marigolds are not yet blooming, but at least I can see they're on their way. :)

10:06 PM, July 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home